Marriage & Family Science: Are We Believing Everything We Read?

 Let's face it: there are millions of voices and opinions out there telling us what family life should look like. Is there an ideal family dynamic? Can children still develop and function normally when family life is dysfunctional and/or less than ideal? What are we to believe/not believe? How can we become critical thinkers and deep divers into marriage and family research? These are extremely important questions, and I have good news! This post will be focusing on the some of the above questions and how to become a savvy consumer of research. 


Before I get into the previous questions, I would like to briefly provide background information about my own family. I grew up with both of my parents who have been married for 29 years. Their marriage hasn't been perfect just like anyone else's, but they have provided a loving and lasting example of marriage and conviction that I am grateful for. On the other hand, this is the only family dynamic I have been able to examine closely. I desire to learn more about all types of families. I was excited to learn more about such topics this week, and I can't wait to share the insights I have gained.


First, I'd like to provide examples of current marital trends and why they are important. Divorce rates, cohabitation, and single-parent homes have risen over the past few decades and social sciences have swarmed like flies to begin studying the effects these trends have on family members. In a social science article examination focusing on the effects of parental dynamics, it states that health, mortality, suicidal risks, drug and alcohol abuse, criminality/incarceration, intergenerational poverty, educational and/or labor force contribution, early sexual activity, early childbearing, and divorce rates as adults have been affected and heightened because of a deviation from an intact family (married mother and father). These facts are important to me and hopefully you because it shows us that the environment we grow up in and that our children grow up in alters their behaviors, relationships, and life! I personally want my children to have the best chance at life and to live a full, confident one without unhealthy or dangerous deterrents. One way that I can influence that is through my own future marriage and the example and environment I set for them. 


Moving on to techniques for researching and studying family research! I know it seems boring at first glance, but if you desire to avoid being so easily swayed and believing all that science says, read on :). Remember back in fifth or sixth grade when your science teacher introduced the scientific method? It's a process familiar to and easily understood by (presumably) all of us. It is used on the daily by social scientists, and important to understand in order to interpret data. Let me briefly explain the scientific method before we move on. First, you find a problem through observation, then form a hypothesis based on that problem. Next you carry out an experiment and collect the data and analyze it. Lastly, you typically repeat the experiment to gain further confirmation to support your hypothesis. 


The scientific method seems easy enough on paper, but it gets much more complicated in real life. Just like humans, studies are chalk full of flaws. Here are three examples:

1. Samples- Questions to ask when examining samples in research should focus on the size of the sample, representation within the sample, the location(s), and if there is a comparison group. Lots of studies do not contain all of these components, and it weakens the results if the sample isn't strong.

2.  Measurements- Ask: is the type of measurement used relevant to the study/hypothesis? 

3. Conclusion- Ask : are the conclusions made after the experiment reliable based based on the data?


It is up to you what family life articles and research you consume, but I hope the information above can improve your critical thinking skills as it has mine. 


And don't think I forgot about you my middle child friends! I thought of you this week. I want you to know that even though we sometimes feel forgotten and pushed to the side, we have a vital role to play in our families and in our future families. Learning and growing through education, experience, and example can't be stressed enough. 

If you made it this far, I want to personally thank you for reading my first official blog post, it means the world to me. Ta-ta for now!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parenting: Developing the Confidence & Skills Necessary to Succeed

Family Communication

Hanging Out vs. Dating vs. Marriage